Contact Details

Get In touch

Contact Details

Location

4 Station Road,
Preston,
Hull,
England.
HU12 8UT

Contact Us

Company Details

UK Company No. 07818986
VAT No. 122974706

I thought Chorley was in Lancashire...

Why Chorley?

Many of our clients confidently tell us they know where Chorley is – somewhere up the M6 is the usual guess. Actually, we are not based in that Chorley but in the parish of Chorley in Cheshire, the original name of Alderley Edge.

Until the arrival of the railway, much of the area now known as Alderley Edge was called Chorley. As well remaining the name of the civil parish, the name Chorley is also retained in the 14th century Chorley Old Hall, to the south-west of Alderley Edge

The first written evidence of the settlement, then known as ‘Chorlegh’, appeared in the 13th century. Although it is not mentioned in the Domesday Book, it is included in a charter of c.1280. In the 13th century and during the Middle Ages, the area comprised estates that had many different owners. From the 15th century, most of these farming estates came under the ownership of the de Trafford family.

In 1830 Chorley consisted of only a few cottages, the De Trafford Arms Inn, a toll bar, and a smithy, straggling along the Congleton to Manchester Road.

 
The coming of the railway in 1842 with the construction of the Stockport to Crewe section of the main Manchester and Birmingham Railway changed all this. The Manchester and Birmingham Railway Company built the line through Chorley, offering free season tickets for 20 years to Manchester businessmen who built houses with a rateable value of more than £50 within a mile of the station. This ‘season ticket’ was in the form of a small silver oval which could be worn on a watch chain.

The railway also gave Alderley Edge its current name. As the railway network expanded and travel became easier, the railway company did not want its station called Chorley anymore because of the possible confusion with Chorley in Lancashire. So, in 1880 they renamed it Alderley Edge against much opposition, taking the old name for the village and the name of the sandstone escarpment already known as The Edge.

IMG_1539
Scroll to Top